HW: Church of Hawkwind - explanation of sorts

rattus norvegicus cannibal at CUTEY.COM
Fri Oct 24 13:42:56 EDT 1997

At 15:07 24/10/97 +0100, Mark Edmonds wrote:

>What is it about Hawkwind that makes people think of them in
>such a special way? Anyone care to comment on this?

To me it may be the sense of the whole "experience" being more than just a
band... part of it is the "mythology" of their music, and partially the
band's unique... eh.. agenda? They have an extremely rich history
that is so fascinating that the novels or lyrics may as well be part
of it all. Like so many german bands did, they picked up on the
technological advances yet threw convention out the window, just keeping
the ur-spinal throbbe... Hawkwind may be what cro-mags discovering
a crashlanded UFO might have sounded like had they started making
instruments of the wreckage.Try to label them and see how far you get. Wear
a mohawk or wear flares, wear nothing and wear stares, wear Hawkwind
and no one cares, because the righteous warriors at the end of Time
know where it's at anyway. Their many adventures are chronicled
thru time and space, yet their true reputation is but a cryptic one...
Their tribal gatherings are a continuous bacchanalia of violent
strobes attacking your cerebral cortex as your synapses are wrenched
out of position by an avalanche of fuzz, infested with lyrics that
symbiotically breed in organic clusters in the back of your spinal
collumn to continually generate and transmit co(s)mically subversive
information and supercharging your third eye. Hawkwind: an epic journey,
a far out crazy groove thang, cosmic superheroes blazing a burning
trail through the galaxies, their destination is their endless sojourn
past infinity beyond the eternal null point of co(s)mic comprehension. It
is no longer the crew onboard Hawkwind that's in command, it's the SHIP....
and it lives... and we are all onboard... and trying to figure out those
blinking dials... and it ain't no joke!

Hmm, I'll have to perform this at amateur poetry night sometime.

Actually, I'll sum it up in two simple words: THEY ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah...
Christian