BOC: Drummers, Drummers and Percussionists

Bolts of Ungodly Vision scruto19 at POTSDAM.EDU
Fri Oct 24 16:30:44 EDT 1997

Oh boy, we're having a real hootenany now...

Mssr. Swartz wrote,
>think by playing bass, I have a decent appreciation of drumming.  To my
>ears and personal taste, there is one Albert Bouchard and everyone else
>will probably always be just a substitute in my mind (and some of that is
>my acknowleged lack of full appreciation for some of the subtle differences
>in drumming styles) - even though they all are good drummers.

I think this illustrates nicely the fact that it's tough to bring anyone in
to preform a piece that you might have written in the first place.  Think
about a piece by Bach.  You can have the best organists of our time play
it, and if one were to go back in time and listen to THE J.S. Bach play--I
thnik you'd probably say something along the lines of "there is one J.S.
Bach and everyone else will probably always be just a substitute."   But
then again interpretation of the orginal score/recording/etc is what makes
such good stuff live on and on and on to the present day--The Challenge of
reproducing and simultaneously recreating the spark of why you dig the
piece in the first place is a laborious one indeed.
Other examples include King Crimon through its multi-person career.

Personally, I think John's right on the drummer issue---The music that we
know as BOC on LP and in our mind's ear is representative of what BOC was
then;keeping that certain special something  and improving on it is BOC's
biggest task to date. Hopefully, the _Wheel_ will roll with sufficient
momentum to do just that.

If whispers count, what happens to Email? (think of _the Vigil_. heehee)
Jason