BOC: Drummers, Drummers and Percussionists

Andrew Gilham Andy.Gilham at BTINTERNET.COM
Fri Oct 24 19:57:37 EDT 1997

> I think this illustrates nicely the fact that it's tough to bring anyone in
> to preform a piece that you might have written in the first place.  Think
> about a piece by Bach.  You can have the best organists of our time play
> it, and if one were to go back in time and listen to THE J.S. Bach play--I
> thnik you'd probably say something along the lines of "there is one J.S.
> Bach and everyone else will probably always be just a substitute."   But

That is so totally bogus!  Not just because of trying to give BOC some ersatz
cred by comparing them to acknowledged classics, but because before recording
technology existed, music was composed with the express intention that it be
performed by other people.

- Andy