BOC: Drummers, Drummers and Percussionists-the case against?

Bolts of Ungodly Vision scruto19 at POTSDAM.EDU
Sat Oct 25 09:54:44 EDT 1997

Andy replied:
>> I think this illustrates nicely the fact that it's tough to bring anyone in
>> to preform a piece that you might have written in the first place.  Think
>> about a piece by Bach.  You can have the best organists of our time play
>> it, and if one were to go back in time and listen to THE J.S. Bach play--I
>> thnik you'd probably say something along the lines of "there is one J.S.
>> Bach and everyone else will probably always be just a substitute."   But
>
>That is so totally bogus!  Not just because of trying to give BOC some ersatz
>cred by comparing them to acknowledged classics, but because before recording
>technology existed, music was composed with the express intention that it be
>performed by other people.
I don't think i was quite clear enough.  Here I go w/ Attempt 2: I wasn't
comparing BOC to "acknowledged classics" in terms of stature. I just
treated Bach and BOC as 2 ordinary composers of music.  The point I tried
to make was that when one is given to opportunity to hear the original
performance of a work with the composer actually doing the musical piece,
the way it sounds and impresses the memory is quite different than if 5
people who play instruments took up the guitar tab  book for Cult Classic
and proceed to play the material in there without ever hearing BOC before.
The attitude and emphasis of notes would not be what we'd be used to
listening to how ETI was originally intended for the most part. I don't see
how this differs in the case of Bach.  Sure, he didn't have recording media
and wrote for other people...but I don't see any sign saying "The following
piece of BOC's catalog is not to be imitated, "airguitared" by anyone else.
Let the music be."
That's all I'm saying. If I failed to clear things up, ah well.

On the lamb, but ain't no sheep,
Jason