HW: Church of Hawkwind - explanation of sorts

Chuck Rosenberg chuck at GENESISNETWORK.NET
Sat Oct 25 02:53:48 EDT 1997

> >What is it about Hawkwind that makes people think of them in
> >such a special way? Anyone care to comment on this?
>
> To me it may be the sense of the whole "experience" being more than just
> band... part of it is the "mythology" of their music, and partially the
> band's unique... eh.. agenda? They have an extremely rich history
> that is so fascinating that the novels or lyrics may as well be part
> of it all. Like so many german bands did, they picked up on the
> technological advances yet threw convention out the window, just keeping
> the ur-spinal throbbe...

Hawkwind may be what cro-mags discovering
> a crashlanded UFO might have sounded like had they started making
> instruments of the wreckage.

Highly quotable!

Try to label them and see how far you get. Wear
> a mohawk or wear flares, wear nothing and wear stares, wear Hawkwind
> and no one cares, because the righteous warriors at the end of Time
> know where it's at anyway. Their many adventures are chronicled
> thru time and space, yet their true reputation is but a cryptic one...
> Their tribal gatherings are a continuous bacchanalia of violent
> strobes attacking your cerebral cortex as your synapses are wrenched
> out of position by an avalanche of fuzz, infested with lyrics that
> symbiotically breed in organic clusters in the back of your spinal
> collumn to continually generate and transmit co(s)mically subversive
> information and supercharging your third eye. Hawkwind: an epic journey,
> a far out crazy groove thang, cosmic superheroes blazing a burning
> trail through the galaxies, their destination is their endless sojourn
> past infinity beyond the eternal null point of co(s)mic comprehension. It
> is no longer the crew onboard Hawkwind that's in command, it's the
SHIP....
> and it lives... and we are all onboard... and trying to figure out those
> blinking dials... and it ain't no joke!
>
> Hmm, I'll have to perform this at amateur poetry night sometime.
>
> Actually, I'll sum it up in two simple words: THEY ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> yeah...
> Christian

Well put, Christian! I'm going to save this for posterity--it's as cheesy
and maybe even cooler than my own ale-inspired Hawk-poems of a couple of
months ago.

Thanks, Charlie

OBCD: Zappa: The Best Band You Never heard in Your Life