OFF: hja"lp med svensk!

christian cannibal at CUTEY.COM
Mon Oct 27 15:46:18 EST 1997

At 19:57 27/10/97 GMT, you wrote:
>    Sorry to intrude with an off-topic issue, but it shouldn't take
>long--and I know there are plenty of people who can advise me on BOC-L ;)
>
>    I have tried to translate the English phrase "The sword of the mighty
>does not sleep" (or "The sword of the mighty sleeps not") into Swedish.
>Unfortunately, my limited Swedish is not good enough, I think!  The best
>guess I had was: De ma"ktigas sva"rd ej sover.

Swap the two last words and get: "De mäktigas svärd sover ej"  or
perhaps less pompous: "De mäktigas svärd sover inte". Of course
in Norwegian it would be: "De mektiges sverd sover ei" or "De mektiges
sverd sover ikke". In Danish, it is: "De mæktiges sverd sover ej" or "De
mæktiges sverd sover ikke". In "New Norwegian" (a horrible constructed
side dialect of Norwegian) it would be: "De mektiges sverd sover ikkje".
I'll ask the Icelandic guy at work if you need it in *true* viking-speak :)

>    That's probably wrong, so any help from the List-svenskar would be
>appreciated!  I can't quite figure out how to make it clear that the sva"rd
>belongs to de ma"ktiga ....

Just butcher the lowly peasants man! That will show 'em who's in charge....

Christian