CHOGC peeve?

Dave Berry daveb at HARLEQUIN.CO.UK
Tue Oct 28 04:40:00 EST 1997

On 27 Oct 22:31, Allan T. Grohe Jr. wrote:
> Sometime today (I think), Jill wrote:
>
> >obCHOGCpeeve> came up the steps from my cellar area tonight to find a
> >policeman lurking at the top with a truncheon in his hand.   This
> >security nonsense is becoming a farce  (I hope)!
>
> What's up with this?  Is 1984 coming true in the UK, even with Thatcher
> and Major ousted from power?

Well, at the pub last night someone was trying to convince us it was
just like how the nazis gained control in the 30s...

What's actually happening is the annual Commonwealth Heads of Government
Meeting, which is being held this year in the UK; to be more precise,
in Edinburgh.  The city's hotels are hosts to the leaders of around 50
nations across the world, and their advisers and entourage.  Not
surprisingly, there is a noticeable security presence for this week.

Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland, yet its residents seem to have two
minds on whether its a proper capital or not.  They want the prestige,
but not the inconvenience.

Dave.
--
Harlequin Ltd., Technology Transfer Centre, King's Buildings,
Mayfield Road, Edinburgh, EH9 3JL, UK.