OFF: Diverse Music

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Wed Oct 29 09:35:43 EST 1997

For SK fans just got this in.  Now this is a really diverse band that
can make music out of anything.  In addition, I hear that this will be
the last Siagon Kick album but that the group will continue to play
under the name Flat.

L8er
lil'ab
SAIGON KICK "Moments from the Fringe" 1997 BVB Music

(1) Dizzy's Vine (2) Colors (3) Hey Hey Hey (4) Homeland (5) Beautiful
(6)
My Only Friend (7) Love Is On The Way (8) Spidee The Rapist (9) God Of
42nd Street (10) Feel The Same Way (11) When You Were Mine (12) Hostile
Youth (13) All I Want (14) Spot Him A Beer (15) You And I (16) My Heart
Screams (17) Salvation (18) The Lizard

Rating: A-

This is perhaps the last album we'll hear from Saigon Kick, and though I
hope they put out another album of new material, "Moments from the
Fringe"
is certainly a nice treat for the fans.  This album is only available
through mail order off Saigon Kick's website, but if you're a fan, you
must have this.  Not only are there nine non-album tracks, but the band
has also included nine demos & alternate versions.  Also, each song
features a brief description about where it came from.

First off, the highlight of this album is the recently recorded "Dizzy's
Vine" featuring Matt Kramer again on vocals.  This tune is terrific, but
totally unlike anything Saigon Kick has done before.  Very cool &
catchy,
and Matt is in fine form.  I've always liked Jason's voice, but Matt is
by
far the best Saigon Kick singer.  Of the other new songs, "Hey Hey Hey"
is
a great, aggressive cut from the first album; "You And I" is a lovely
ballad from the "Water" era; and "Spidee The Rapist" is a cool surfer
song.  "Salvation" was written by drummer Chris McLernon and has a nice
Floydian vibe.  "My Only Friend" is a joke song in the vein of "Chanel"
or
"Sentimental Girl"; "Beautiful" is a nice laid back tune; and "Homeland"
is a Germanesque drinking song.  The final new tune, "Spot Him A Beer"
is
just weird.

The demos vary between being only slightly different from the released
versions, like "Hostile Youth", to being alternate versions, like the
acoustic "Colors".  Almost all of the demos are early takes and really
give a nice insight into Saigon Kick's writing.  My favorites include
the
stripped down "God Of 42nd Street" (always one of my favorite SK tunes),
the tribal version of "Water"'s "My Heart" called "My Heart Screams",
and
the acoustic "Colors".  Other highlights include "Feel The Same Way"
which
is almost eerie with its stripped down sound and keyboard effects and
"When You Were Mine" which has a really nice Beatles feel, ala "Sgt.
Pepper", complete with more stripped down sound and a keyboard part not
on
the "Water" version.

Overall, this is a terrific compilation album which highlights all
phases
of Saigon Kick's career.  While I hope this is not a swan song, if it
is,
the band has done an amazing job providing great music for lots of loyal
fans.  Check this out.  You can order your copy @
http://www.bvbmusic.com

Highlights:  "Dizzy's Vine", "You And I", "Hey Hey Hey", "Feel The Same
Way"