OFF: Tangerine Dream and Stranglers

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Wed Oct 29 09:58:59 EST 1997

-----Original Message-----
From: M Holmes <fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK>
To: Multiple recipients of list BOC-L <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>
Date: Wednesday, October 29, 1997 6:42 AM
Subject: OFF: Tangerine Dream and Stranglers

>I see they're both touring at the moment. Does anyone know any
>dates/venues?
>
>Have TD recovered their form or do they still sound like some sort of
>jazz fusion band?
>
>FoFP

Nope, Crazy Eddie Froese is still in the jazz-fuzak mode (so I'm told; I
haven't bought the last studio release GOBLINS' CLUB or the live TOURNADO,
although there are a couple of classic TD soundtracks due out soon, like the
official version of THE KEEP, that I'll probably snag). He has ditched the
eye-candy sax player, so, make of that what you will. Sad state of affairs
for those of us who remember when TD was a monster electronic band...

But there are a number of bands that have taken up the banner that TD
dropped and are doing quite well. If you like the Moog and
Mellotron-drenched sounds of TD from the mid-70's, I suggest you check out
Radio Massacre International, Node, Air Sculpture or Redshift (Mark Shreeve
in a room full of classic analogue synths, paying homage to PHAEDRA!) Ian
Boddy, T-Bass, Ron Boots, Rob Essers, Waveshape and Paul Nagle are all
current performers that have a heavy TD influence to their works and are all
well worth checking out (thankfully, they are all influenced by the
Franke-era TD, not the post-Franke wasteland).

There is a mailing list for those of us that are fans of the bands listed
above and other progressive, electronic and instrumental musics that are not
The Big Names (I.E. TD, J-MJ, Vangelis, etc.) If you are interested, send me
e-mail and I will send you subscription info. Hope to see some of you
there...

NP: Djam Karet / The Devouring (my prog-rock choice of the year! Good
stuff!)
Craig Shipley              craigs at pyramid.com
Siemens-Pyramid Information Systems, Inc.
1100 Johnson Ferry Rd. NE        Suite 400
Atlanta, Georgia 30342      (404) 845-3404
Corporate Voice Mail            (800) 333-5754 x-2023