BOC: new info

Wed Sep 3 13:52:27 EDT 1997

>> From:          John A Swartz <jswartz at MBUNIX.MITRE.ORG>

> >ME-262 is pretty much a staple of the current
> setlist, as is OD'd,
>
> Depends what you mean.  Up until early '96, these 2 were staples, but they
> both had been dropped somewhere around there as more Buck-sung songs were
> put in the setlist.  Their re-appearance in the setlist is a good sign, as
> they have been absent from most of the setlists from the past year (although
> I think "OD'd" made it in a few)
>
> John
I hadn't considered them in that light--i.e. EB songs, but that is
good news.  My reference only goes to Dec. of 96 to date.  Prior to that I
hadn't seen them in maybe 5 years.  The 4 times I saw them in this
period, they did OD'd every time but one [BOC weren't headlining and
only played an hour] and, I think, ME262 every time but one as well.
Esp. significant, as they did both songs at the Utica gig, where I
thought EB sounded the worst of these 4 recent gigs, and really
appeared to be struggling.  This last show gave me some renewed
confidence in EB, though BD and Danny still shadowed a lot of his
parts.  What does Bolle say 'bout Eric's voice?

And while I whine about the stale setlist as much as anyone, the
recent outdoor show proved how effective a one-hour set BOC can put
together.  The only real gripe I had was in including long bass and
drum solos in a short set.  All the other songs really worked and did
indeed showcase the best the band has to offer.  In such a setting,
inclusion of familiar stuff is entirely appropriate.  I WAS upset
that we didn't get to hear the great Harvest Moon.  I could hear the
roadies talking onstage, and one of them asked if they were going to
do it, as, supposedly, BD would use his backup guitar on it?  The big
3?  Hey, they're here, they aint goin' nowhere, get used to it!  Why
begrudge them the chance to play their only bona fide hits?
theo