OFF: early UFO: groovy groovy spacerock!

Chris Warburton desdinova at EARTHLING.NET
Sun Sep 7 12:18:02 EDT 1997

Way back on 10/07/97, Christian  wrote:
>Having only heard later UFO I've always dismissed them as 3rd rate
>--snip--<
>I'm curious about their first 2-3 albums, I don't think they are availible
>on CD, but this stuff is a far cry from the later (+more successful :-)
>Michael Schenker era stuff......

The first album is available on CD, I just saw it a couple of days ago.  I
think it was in HMV in Kingston, maybe Virgin.  It's on a fairly obscure
label.  There was a double album in Castle's "The Collection" series with a
pretty comprehensive selection from the first two albums (and I think from
the 3rd which was live).  The first album is a bit patchy, I used to own it
when I was about 16, but swapped it for a Stones album.

They were still pretty good when Schenker first joined them and they were
still playing the old stuff.  I saw them at the '76 Club' in Burton on
Trent (scene of the famous Pistols bootleg) at that time and they tore the
roof off the place.   Mind you, it didn't compare with Motorhead a few
years later who almost literally blew the doors off their hinges with noise
 *g*   The place was really only the back room of a chip-shop with a
capacity of about 250 max....   I was deaf for two days.

Tatty-bye,
ChrisW
ObPostKarateMusic: King Crimson/The Great Deceiver (DiscTwo)