HW, BRAIN: Needle Gun

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Tue Sep 9 06:01:09 EDT 1997

Albert T Bouchard writes:

> One of Rudy Rudich's final mortal acts (he's still in the mix from the
> ether) was to send me a tape of a Hawkwind song that we just HAD to play.
> Yesterday, we recorded 'Needle Gun' for this year's Christmas recording.
> What Hawkwind albums is this song on and who are the writers?

>From the codex:

Needle Gun
    1     The Chronicle Of The Black Sword
    1     Night of the Hawk
    1     25 Years On [Griffin 4-CD Set]
    1 a   Needle Gun/ Arioch 7"
    1 a   Needle Gun 12" EP
 L  2     Dawn of Hawkwind  CD
 L  3     Live Chronicles
 L  3     Hawkw Anthology triple CD box set [Castle Communications]
 L  4     Live At Reading '86
 L  5     Lords of Light, Kings of Speed

      *   1a is an edited version of 1.

Translation:

Needle Gun first appeared on the studio album "The Chronicle of the
Black Sword" (1985) and was credited to Brock.  It is based on the
Eternal Champion Jerry Cornelius's weapon of choice and can presumably
be regarded as a manifestation of the Black Sowrd within the mythos.
The same version appeared on the compilation album "Night of the Hawk"
and on the 4-CD compilation by Griffin "25 Years On".  A shorter version
appeared on the Needle Gun 7" single and the 12" EP available as a pic
disk.  A Live version (1985) appeared on the Dawn of Hawkwind bootleg CD
with another live version appearing on the Live Chronicles album
recorded on tour (December 1985).  This version also appeared on the
Castle triple CD compilation.  The Reading '86 festival furnished
another live recording of the song with yet another (1991) appearing on
the "Lords of Light, Kings of Speed" concert CD.

Lyrics:

So you're alive, I thought you was done
I'm gonna bring you down with my needle gun
Feel my pin prick tattoo your spine
Give it a minute, your life's entwined
With mine
It's gonna make you run