Age and taste

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Tue Sep 9 20:44:12 EDT 1997

Daniel sez...

I once read an article that quoted a scientific report that said
that "the music you listen to when you're 24 is the same [kind of] music that
you'll be listening to in the rest of your life".
I don't want to have an age-thread again but it would be very interesting if
some of you that are older than 35 could tell us about your own experience
and opinions on this.

Zzzzz, <snort!> huh, what didja say, sonny????

Well, I think that it is true to a large extent, but I like to keep my musical options open.
While it is true that my musical tastes are pretty much the same since I was about 18,
I listen to very few bands or recordings from that time, at least on a regular basis. I do,
however, seek out new bands that perform in the styles of my favorite "old timers". Which is
why I am mighty damn glad to see the resurgence of prog-rock and electronic music.

I will also admit to liking musical styles that I would have run screaming from as a much younger
man. It is mostly classical styles (I am developing a great interest in traditional Irish music, via
the rock world), so don't accuse me of becoming a rap / hip-hop fan! ( I did listen to rap for about
six months after it first came out, 'cuz the message was good back then. Then it became an "I'm
badder than you / my tallywhacker is bigger than yours!" self-adoration fest! Bleah!

Craig

I believe this is true.

                -Daniel

"Vada jultraditioner? Hos oss har vi nya traditioner varje ar" (CG)

Daniel Wikdahl
Kaptensgatan 2a
S-39 236 KALMAR
SWEDEN