OFF: Is Guitar Rock Dead?

Troy Harris fiskare at WEBCONCEPT.COM.AU
Wed Sep 10 04:24:12 EDT 1997

At 03:34 PM 9/09/97 -0500, BREVARD, Adrian R. wrote:
>One of the Guitar magazines has a cover story about the lack of
>imaginative guitar playing in todays modern music scene.  Didn't read
>the  whole thing but several people suggested that Techno-dance music is
>about to take over in a big way and that rock may be leaving the scene
>all together (fat chance).  Still there is a huge gap in todays music as
>none of the newer bands seem to care or are able to perform the old
>standard flaming guitar solo.  Any of you professional out there have an
>opinion on this?  Have we seen the last of virtuosos like Buck, Ted
>Nugent, Frank Marino, Robin Trower?

 Yeah, I think the whole "Vinnie Moore, Racer X, Cacophony, guitar God- with
-long-hair-posing -with -guitar-in
hand-fingers-in-an-obscure-scale-on-the-fretboard" thing of the early 90's
late 80's ruined it for everyone.  We all got sick of these viruosos 'cos
they all sounded the same, more or less.  Bring back the TRUE heroes of
Guitar, like Frank Marino, etc., and the world will again be sane.  Even
Yngwie J. Malmsteen has started to sound like the true heroes of old and has
just done an excellent tribute/cover album to their greatness.
   Long Live Frank Marino.

    Troy

>I know there are several young guys who can play but they don't appear
>enamored with the mosnter solo.  Thoughts anyone?
>
>lil ab
>
>OBCD - Dream Theater - Awake

        Troy Harris

        PO Box 18  Mornington, Victoria, Australia , 3931

        +61-3-5985 85 86

        fiskare at webconcept.com.au
        tlh at rubens.its.unimelb.edu.au