OFF: Age and taste

Wed Sep 10 08:26:11 EDT 1997

> From:          Bob Lennon <hawkus at HOTMAIL.COM>

> >Daniel Wikdahl wrote:
> >> This came to my mind when I read the "guitar-hero" mails.
> >> I once read an article that quoted a scientific report that said
> >> that "the music you listen to when you're 24 is the same [kind of]
> >> music that
> >> you'll be listening to in the rest of your life".

> actually i am still listening to most of what i was listening to when i
> was 24 but have added any new bands that have come along that got my
> interest. And I also have leaned even more towards the exotic...in the
> world music (not to be confused with the trendy "world beat stuff" and
> it seems the more primitive...the more exciting...go figure...
> i also appreciate the more extreme bands even more like noise bands
> etc...
> i wonder what i'll be listening to when i'm an old fart?
> bl

Well, let's see...Some of my favorite gtr players are guys i first
heard after i was 24:  Steve Stevens, Gary Moore, SRV,EVH [think i
was exactly 24 when the first record came out but i'll count it
anyway], Glenn Tipton...

But I think the basic STYLE of music i generally pefer was frimly
established by this time.  Not to say that new records don't come
along and blow me away to this day...
I've yet to hear my first HW.  I'm gonna jump on the new record when
it comes out, so maybe i'll be expanding my horizons a bit right
there...

BTW, AB, how 'bout Gary Hoey as a young turk gtr slinger?  True, he
plays more of an older style, and I can see how he'd be lumped in
[incorrectly, IMHO] with dudes like Vatriani, but he has a cool sense
of humor and doesn't seem to have the pedantic self-absorption of
some of the other guitar gods...

Did someone mention the G3 tour?  The third guy after Eric J left was
Kenny Wayne Shepard, who i think is finally over 20 by now, though he
really is an old-style player who emulates SRV big-time [NOT a put
down on Kenny--he's a really cool guy.  Originality will come with
age.  If it doesn't, people will get sick of him]

And, aren't we overlooking the obvious example right under our
noses?:  tBS!  Al certainly isn't going over the same musical ground
he trod in his youth with BOC.  He's totally reinvented himself and
his sound.  Or maybe BOC wasn't exactly the vision he had.  What's
the story Al?  Is BOC or tBS more like the sound you've always
envisioned for yourself?  And, Al, what about a live tBS disc
someday?

that's too much for now...
theo