OFF: Is Guitar Rock Dead?

Jerry stayer at PI.NET
Wed Sep 10 10:33:55 EDT 1997

BREVARD, Adrian R. wrote:
> Still there is a huge gap in todays music as
> none of the newer bands seem to care or are able to perform the old
> standard flaming guitar solo.  Any of you professional out there have an
> opinion on this?  Have we seen the last of virtuosos like Buck, Ted
> Nugent, Frank Marino, Robin Trower?
> I know there are several young guys who can play but they don't appear
> enamored with the mosnter solo.  Thoughts anyone?
> OBCD - Dream Theater - Awake

To start with your obCD, Petrucci might be one of them (new heroes?), but I think his
playing lacks emotion. Too technical. I saw them three times in a row and all solos
sounded the same.
The ones you named (Buck, Ted, Frank and Robin) are quite different from that.
Dutch band Bagheera (nice mix of prog and heavy rock like LedZep maybe) have a great
guitarist and he knows how to touch the strings with emotion. Listen to US band
Mastermind - very intense and complex prog (Mahavishnu ELP) and might sound too
technical at first, but I've seen them live and it was wonderful.

Jerry