OFF: Is Guitar Rock Dead?

Wed Sep 10 13:07:57 EDT 1997

 From:          Guido Vacano <gvacano at BEAVER.MBB.WESLEYAN.EDU>

> "lil ab" says--
>
> > One of the Guitar magazines has a cover story about the lack of
> > imaginative guitar playing in todays modern music scene.
>
> Whoever wrote the article must not be aware of the efforts of Robert
> Fripp, Adrian Belew, The California Guitar Trio, Fred Frith, David Torn,
> Frank Zappa, Jeff Beck, Vernon Reid, etc. If he or she is referring to
> such a lack in Top 40, I'm in full agreement. Screaming guitar has been
> replaced by screechy "vocals".

Yeah, but these are older guys.  Wasn't the focus of the article on
new guitar heroes?

> > Didn't read
> > the  whole thing but several people suggested that Techno-dance music is
> > about to take over in a big way and that rock may be leaving the scene
> > all together (fat chance).  Still there is a huge gap in todays music as
> > none of the newer bands seem to care or are able to perform the old
> > standard flaming guitar solo.  Any of you professional out there have an
> > opinion on this?  Have we seen the last of virtuosos like Buck, Ted
> > Nugent, Frank Marino, Robin Trower?
>
> I think Robin Trower's _20th Century Blues_ (a great album btw) is his
> most recent album (1994), but I don't think we've seen the last of him. As
> for Ted Nugent, I suspect we won't hear anything interesting from him.

No!  Robin's latest is Someday Blues, just released.  Fine record, in
the vein of Gary Moore's blues records.  Agreed on Terrible Ted,
though he's okay live.  What an asshole:  he spouts off about freedom
and censorship, then turns around and backs conservative
[american-style] politics.  Yeah, those guys will have a lot of use
for rock n' rollers!

theo