OFF: Is Guitar Rock Dead?

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.CS.VT.EDU
Thu Sep 11 11:45:49 EDT 1997

lil' ab writes:

> One of the Guitar magazines has a cover story about the lack of
> imaginative guitar playing in todays modern music scene.  Didn't read
> the  whole thing but several people suggested that Techno-dance music is
> about to take over in a big way and that rock may be leaving the scene
> all together (fat chance).  Still there is a huge gap in todays music as
> none of the newer bands seem to care or are able to perform the old
> standard flaming guitar solo.  Any of you professional out there have an
> opinion on this?  Have we seen the last of virtuosos like Buck, Ted
> Nugent, Frank Marino, Robin Trower?
>
> I know there are several young guys who can play but they don't appear
> enamored with the mosnter solo.  Thoughts anyone?

I don't know about monster solos in terms of length so much, but it
strikes me that Warren Haynes of Govt. Mule plays monster solos in terms
of impact at least, which is a pretty mean feat considering Govt. Mule
ordinarily plays with the ferocity of a tent revival on steroids, so to
top that takes some doing...

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Govt. Mule, _Live at Roseland Ballroom_ (what a coincidence:)

e-mail: paul at gromit.cs.vt.edu

"I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time"
        --- James Marshall Hendrix