OFF: Is Guitar Rock Dead?

Thu Sep 11 11:56:03 EDT 1997

 From:          Paul Mather <paul at GROMIT.CS.VT.EDU>

> > I know there are several young guys who can play but they don't appear
> > enamored with the mosnter solo.  Thoughts anyone?
>
> I don't know about monster solos in terms of length so much, but it
> strikes me that Warren Haynes of Govt. Mule plays monster solos in terms
> of impact at least, which is a pretty mean feat considering Govt. Mule
> ordinarily plays with the ferocity of a tent revival on steroids, so to
> top that takes some doing...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Paul.
>
> obCD: Govt. Mule, _Live at Roseland Ballroom_ (what a coincidence:)

Right on!  Warren can shred with anyone--fretted or slide.  But
again, though he's only been famous recently, he would be considered
an old-style gtr plyr.  I think the article AB was referring to was
asking if today's youngsters are interested in lead playing.  I think
there will always be strong pockets of certain musical styles, as
they appeal to certain people.  Hence, though Alternative was big, it
didn't kill off metal, country rock, rebel rock etc.  It simply
dominated as a trend for a while.  Who knows what will take it's
place, as it appears to be losing steam right now...
theo

...It's Legal, but it's not 100 percent legal...

--Vincent Vega

obCD: Genius of America/the Tubes