BRAIN: Re: artwork

Brian Halligan brianh at PULLEYN.COM
Thu Sep 11 15:01:34 EDT 1997

Theo said:

>Hate to say what i know will be considered heresy, but i think tBS
>should fire whoever does their art work.  3-for-3 if you ask me.
>Sorry Al, with my luck you probably designed them!

And Jason replied:

> Well, he didn't do them..Steve Brodner did. FYI, he's also a political
> cartoonist in the publication "In These Times."  Th artwork is definately
> not what we're used to in terms of hard rock LP covers I'll give you that
> much.

They are definately unique.  The one I enjoy the most is the cover for Trepanation.  Deb's
menacing look defines the heavy style of the tunes on the album.  Then you've got the Medusa
imagery representing the song and merging well with the "heavy music inside" idea.
The best part though is that it includes all members of the band, showing that tBS aren't just
Deb and Al anymore, but a solid group.

It's taken me a while to get used to the cover of Box of Hammers.  I don't know if I'll ever really
like it, but I get the idea behind it.

The "Eponomous" is just funny.  It goes right along with the tone of the whole album and
although that's not the best picture of Al and Deb on the back cover, I think it's cool.  And
clever- especially for a hard rock album.

And they're all better than the cover of the Mirrors album, and about 90% of Hawkwind's covers!

Brian

Brian Halligan
Copywriter Intern
Buck & Pulleyn
brianh at pulleyn.com

"It was only a practice brain.  I did pretty
well with it." -Mike Black