OFF: the Manband

Chris Warburton desdinova at EARTHLING.NET
Sun Sep 14 00:44:25 EDT 1997

At 14:38 14/09/97 +0100, you wrote:
>Excellent gig by the old Welsh bastards last night!  Deke looked to be in
>good shape, as did they all, except they had a (highly competent) stand-in
>drummer for Terry Williams, who was unwell.  (Jones quipped: "What do they
>call it these days?  Substance abuse?")

I concur wholeheartedly - though I could be accused of rose-tinted glasses
since it was my first Man gig in twenty years having previously chased them
all over the country in the '70s.  I don't know whether it was the return
of Phil Ryan on keyboards, but  they were well spacet too (with hardly a
"whooshy" noise to be heard *g*).

>Good to meet up with Chris W too!

Likewise it was good to put a face to Andy's name...

>They're supposed to be playing a few more dates this year - Harrow, Sheffield
>and Southampton, I think they said - with a new album  out early next year.

Also  Stoke (The Wheatsheaf?)

>Anyway, the most amazing bit was when Martin Ace put aside his bass and
>played a tuba during one song!  Now I've really seen everything!

We weren't hallucinating then...

ChrisW

ObCD: Bach - Sonata's & Partitas for Solo Violin (I'm ill & need soothing)
"A man must go on a quest
 to discover the sacred fire
 in the sanctuary of his own belly
 to ignite the flame in his heart
 to fuel the blaze in the hearth
 to rekindle his ardor for the earth." — Sam Keen