Hawkwind Tour in Trouble

Andrew Gilham Andy.Gilham at BTINTERNET.COM
Mon Sep 15 18:40:08 EDT 1997

> A good manager would not allow things to get so far out of hand.
> It's too easy to say "It's not my fault, I'm not the
> promoter!"  Well who hired the promoter?  A manager's job is to manage
> ALL aspects of a band's career, not just the easy stuff.

And it's very easy to slag the management at the drop of a hat.  To be fair,
it's still 6+ weeks before the London show, and I really wouldn't have
*expected* to see any ads for it yet.  I might have expected it to be among
the gigs listed as forthcoming in Time Out (London's listings mag), but not
unduly concerned that it's not.

It's normal to see actual ads only a couple of weeks before a show of this
size - looking in the latest Time Out, here's a page of gig ads at random:

Men They Couldn't Hang - 19th Sept
Caravan (!) - 19th Sept
Man (yay!) - 13th Sept
4 gigs at Dingwalls (including the Fall), 16 Sept - 2 Oct
Fountains of wayne - 29th sept
Levellers - 1-2 Oct
Ruben Gonzalez - 18 & 22 Sept

So you see, no-one's advertising more than 2 or 3 weeks ahead.

It's not like the show's tomorrow and they've sold 15 tickets.  Blackheath
hardly got advertised until a week or two beforehand, and that was full
enough.

- Andy