Hawkwind Tour in Trouble

Max Wilcox s333271 at STUDENT.UQ.EDU.AU
Mon Sep 15 23:39:55 EDT 1997

Hi all,

        With all of this talk, I feel the need to put my 5 kopeks worth in.
        I believe, without a doubt, that it's a question of promotion. I'm not one
to blame anyone, as that doesn't really achieve anything, but I think there
are quite a few things that could be done. So here's a few ideas.
        1. A film clip. This would be one of the best types of promotion, at least
to get new fans etc. By a clip, I don't mean just some concert footage from
Love In Space, I mean something that is actually directed by someone, with
a plot, perhaps. I can see some great stuff in my mind, with regards to a
film clip from Alien4. The talk of the new album sounds like an even better
chance to get a clip out there. I think a well done clip would be one of
the best ways to pull new fans.
        2. Air time. Promo CDs, promo CDs, promo CDs for radio stations!
        3. Distribution. I can only speak for Australia, and I know it's different
in the UK, but there needs to be more distribution and promotion of the
actual albums. By promotion of the albums, I don't mean huge things like
Pink Floyd album debuts, but something that is clever and noticeable.
        4. Fan-based promotion. This is one of the best things that I can think of
to get it out into the open. With the possibility of HW coming to
Australia, the organising of OzHawks, etc, has got a few people together to
get the word out there. It's slow, but it works if you're willing to put a
bit of effort into it.
        5. Reaching the right market. I think today is one of the best times to
promote HW, what with the interests in aliens, SCHWA, etc, and electronic
music, the rave scene, etc. All of these interests are particular to a
certain type subculture, and if the promotion was done intelligently, this
would be a very productive market.

        I can understand the complaints concerning the promotions companies, as
they seem to have a policy of keeping everybody in the dark with regards to
their plans. I guess it's a case of some being better than others, too.
        Well, those are my thoughts for the moment.

Max Wilcox
http://student.uq.edu.au/~s333271/index.html
Brisbane OzHawks
http://student.uq.edu.au/~s333271/HawkBris/indexO.html