BOC: Soloing and band mechanics- a discussion

Tue Sep 16 10:53:00 EDT 1997

> From:          Bolts of Ungodly Vision <scruto19 at POTSDAM.EDU>

> >> AL should stick to the keys, IMHO.  He
> >sometimes does a pretty awful acoustic blues thing as a preamble to
> >In Thee.  Adds nothing to the show.
> As T.Jackson pointed out before the non bluesness of BOC's catalog does
> make this jam out of place, but then again Lanier can play guitar pretty
> well, as evidenced in the solo section of Harvester of Eyes and the
> structure of Gil Blanco County-a whalin' guitar tune.  But yes, he does
> need to show of his keyboradmanship more...the 'boards didn't get too much
> emphasis in the mix when you listen to _BOC_ and remain mainly in the
> background, barely, in everything else till you get to _ST_ I think.  They
> should have used the keyboards skills in the studio the way Lanier's sway
> and shimmy successfully on the live version of "WoTT"..or something like
> that.

Yeah, AL's keys are pretty much in the background in the live show
nowadays, and that's too bad.  He contributes that eerie, atmospheric
stuff to the old records and the early live shows.  What's going on
here?  BOC's live sound in general isn't all that hot recently...

theo