BOC: Soloing and band mechanics --addendum

Tue Sep 16 15:40:44 EDT 1997

 From:          Bolts of Ungodly Vision <scruto19 at POTSDAM.EDU>

> For those of you who have have been fortunate enough to see BOC in the 70s
> and on some sort of regular basis since then, what are your impressions
> about the way their concert formats have changed over the years?

In the 70s, the big show-stopper was BTBW, with BD and EB abusing
their gtrs.  And, of course, the 5 guitars...The laser show, of
course, was amazing, as it was to see BOC play sold-out stadiums...

Yet, Buck's playing is way better than the old days, at least live.
You'd have to have seen Eric in the old days to believe it's the same
guy--he really ruled a stage, and his voice, while not technically
the best, had a certain style and panache that made up for his
shortcomings.  Allen played a much bigger part than nowadays--at
least you could always hear him...

And of course, the Bouchards...Nobody can make up for Al's departure,
or Joe's for that matter.  The drummers they have now are fine
musicians,  but they can't match Albert's presence on stage.  He is a
consumate showman.  Danny's a fine bassist, maybe even better than
Joe as a player, but Joe's vocal turns were a highlight of the show,
and he provided such important songwriting input.  Same with Albert.

On the positive side, it's a gas seeing the band up close in a club.
But the downer is that they play the same songs all the time.  In the
old days, new material was always coming up, the playlist changed all
the time.   The anticipation of new material and a constantly
changing setlist always made the shows something to look forward to.
And...I was 20 years younger--Jesus, Jason, almost as long as you've
been alive!  A concert had more impact in those days, even though I
saw more shows back then.  Now, even though I love seeing the band,
it's more like I'm going to see Buck, who's the greatest, but I
really miss the total exxperience of an old-time BOC show, and tha,
I'm afraid, is gone forever...
theo