HW TOURS

Dan Witt hawkwind1 at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Sep 17 00:04:41 EDT 1997

> Yes, I could never understand that about Hawkwind in the US!  It costs a lot
> in "initial costs" to haul themselves and their equipment over here, but
> then when they get here, they do a minimal number of shows, which makes no
> sense.  With more shows, the profits increase obviously.  The initial costs
> are the main expenses involved, so after those are made up for, each
> additional show can only add to the profits.  With this most recent tour of
> 4 shows with bad turnouts, what's that all about?  I expect they must have
> lost a lot of money on this tour, unless most the $40.00 ticket price at
> Strange Daze went to the Hawks, in which case they would have lost money at
> three shows and made a small profit at one.  The obvious solution is to STAY
> IN THE US LONGER AND DO MORE SHOWS PER TOUR.  Seems pretty obvious.

As I understand it Hawkwind needs $3,000 to show up and play, and they
need a contract signed to this effect. If they don't have this they
can't show up and play.  I think they're fairly eager to play more dates
in the US but they need more gigs set up for them. If people want to see
more dates on the possible 98 tour, they should start considering ways
to set up a gig in their own town.  Jim Laschko, I'm sure could give
more in depth advice to people who are able gaurantee the bands wages.

This is the only way to see more gigs in the US, fan involvement.

The way
> to get shows of course is to have a promo package to send out.  This means
> sending CD's and a brief biography/ 8x10 glossy to prospective
> clubs/promoters, just like every other band on earth.  Generally speaking
> people don't know who Hawkwind is, but Hawkwind could cure that problem by
> promoting themselves a little more than zero.  In 1989 they did have a press
> kit for the US tour, and I think it helped because Hawkwind interest in this
> country was at a nadir, considering they hadn't played here in the 11
> previous years.  Come on guys, get with it!  Press kits!  Radio spots!
> Promo CDs!

I doubt if any of this would help at all, the press and radio will
continue to ignore Hawkwind in US, as they do any band of similar
popularity.

> >     As for management and promotion over here, I think Chris and Mary
> >Bruce do more harm than good for the band.  I have sent money to subscribe

I had no idea this was the case, I'm glad somebody said something about
this. If the Bruce's are ripping people off HW should not associate with
them.

--
Standing on the runway waiting for take off

Dan Witt
MInneapolis, MN USA