HW: The Bruces

Scott Heller heller at HAGEDORN.DK
Wed Sep 17 03:42:52 EDT 1997

I actually know Chris and Mary Bruce and got together with them 20 or 30
times while I lived in the boston area.  I am not sure how HW ever got
hooked up with them either. Mary has been a big HW fan for years. Chris was
always more of a dead head and mary sort of got him into HW.  For those of
you out there that don't know it mary is completely blind and relies on
Chris for nearly everything. This handycap is compounded by the fact that
they are both incredibly lazy......  They mean well, but never quite get up
the energy to do much of anything,. Chris has been trained as an
audio/recording engineer and I think he knows his shit but just does not
want to work. He also has a bad back and likes to smoke a lot of pot.
Basically Chris and Mary would sit around and do drugs all the time if they
could but they can't afford to. Most of their income comes from Mary's SSI
(disability) and they were living in a government subsidized housing (the
address that appears in all the cd's, etc..). They have since been kicked
out because of a drug bust. You can read about it for yourself at:

 http://www.townonline.com/cambridge/archive/051597/029484_0_alleged_0515
 97_83d5359002.html

I guess they don't keep the archives on line that long, as I could not get
through..  It is an article from the Cambridge Chronicle newspaper about
the alledged drug dealer in harvard square.

I spoke to Chris and Mary before I moved to denmark and Chris said that
this was a bunch of bullshit and was fighting it in court. I think he was
winning at the time?

        Anyway, Chris and Mary are lazy nice people but don't really have
their life in order. There will never be another Kadu Flyer. The need to
buy pot first. Mary would like there to be but I don't think it will ever
happen. I wrote like 10 papes of stuff and included the interview I did
with richard that appears on a web page by Tania Ruiz, but they never got
around to putting anything out. It basically comes down to them not really
having enough energy to get up and do it. You talk to them on the phone and
they say they will but then they never wrote it down and smoked another
joint... you are a distant memory..

        I don't want anyone to think that I am slagging them. I had fun
when I got together with them and they are really nice people but they are
really really lazy.  I just don't think that anyone can rely on them to
help HW when they do desperately need to help themselves...

Scott

R. Scott Heller PhD
Hagedorn Research Institute
Niels Steensensvej 6