BOC Setlists, sounds and the like 70's til now.

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Wed Sep 17 08:43:22 EDT 1997

Hmmm interesting question 70's vs. today.  Biggest difference I have
seen/heard is the lack of diversity in the music.  In the 70's you had
songs that were led vocally by four different guys.  Yeah Eric did the
majority of songs with Buck a close second but having Al and Joe chirp
in with Hot Rails, Cities and other songs added much spice to the mix.
Also BOC tended to jam quite a bit in the old days.   If you want to
know the BIGGEST difference between then and now I have to say its
motion.  In the 70's Buck was pretty much glued to the spot, he's far
more animated now then then.  Eric has gone the opposite way, far more
animated in the 70's than now.  Oh Eric didn't act like David Lee Roth
or anything but he worked each area of the stage and basically cut a
dashing almost regal figure up there with those mirrored shades.

As for the setlist I don't know but maybe we are overlooking the obvious
here.  BOC can't go around changing the setlist drastically every two or
three shows.

1. The old tours were well organized and played in arenas, BOC probably
totted along a huge amount of their own equipment.  Also soundchecks
were part of the daily routine.  Having your own stuff and the luxury of
soundchecks  allowed the band to change the setlist on the fly to fit
the venue.

2.  Club circuit is the exact opposite.  Dates are confirmed on the fly,
clubs have to provide some of the equipment or at least make some
arrangements.  In order to do the club circuit the way they are doing it
you have to travel light.  Wonder how many real soundchecks they get
during the normal course.  Not many I imagine, therefore they have to
have songs ready to go out the can.

3. Changing personnel and lots of gigs allows precious time for
rehearsal, changes and other stuff.

Now about Danny.  IMHO he is the best bassist BOC has had in years.
Glad he is part of the band so perhaps its more appropriate to say 4OC.
We may never know how good Danny is as a song writer since they have not
gotten EW to market to test the waters.  It occurs to me that while we
would all like to hear something new if we do get EW it may in fact be
the absolute last BOC album we will ever hear.  It will have to justify
someones investment to get another.  Maybe we are better off without it.

Theo no review from me on the 9/14 show, for a good reason, didn't go
bud.  Frederick {grew up in this area and couldn't find Frederick on a
map 8>)} is a hump as is the next show at AL Gators.  Timing also stunk
on the 9/14 show as that was a Sunday.  Probably will not make the
Gators show either as I am somewhat adverse to travelling heavy duty
miles to see any band.  Life isn't like that for me anymore.  Typically
BOC plays Jaxx every October, and while no show has been announced yet
I'm betting that they will appear there to keep my streak alive.  Jaxx
is small but a great venue to see a show.  My tally for concerts over
the last four years is very meager almost laughable by other standards
but hey they were quality shows nonetheless.

BOC - 1994-1996 (3)
Earth Wind & Fire 1995
Beck & Sanatana 1995
Nazareth 1996
Velvet Hammer 1996
King's X & Galactic Cowboys 1996
Queensryche - 1997

Probably only two more this year Savatage - If they actually play Jaxx
in October and BOC ditto. However if GC or KX hit the road I'll be
there. Not a lot of shows I admit but each one of them was very much
worth it.

L8er

lil' ab

"Ya know gang when you're a superhero you never know where the day will
take you.  You may find yourself halfway around the world in shark
infested waters of true to life living or you may find yourself going
down to the store for a lozenge.  You can't know can you?  No, you got
to ride that wave, you got to suck that lozenge.  Because if you don't,
who will?  - The Tick

OBCD - King's X, Dogman