BOC Setlists, sounds and the like 70's til now.

Wed Sep 17 09:17:19 EDT 1997

 From:          "BREVARD, Adrian R." <abrevard at SHL.COM>

> Hmmm interesting question 70's vs. today.  Biggest difference I have
> seen/heard is the lack of diversity in the music.  In the 70's you had
> songs that were led vocally by four different guys.  Yeah Eric did the

Plus all the great diversity of songwriting.  All members of the band
contributed, plus great outside input from Meltzer, Sandy, etc.
Later came Moorcock, Shirley and others.  I always dug that about
BOC, that they weren't so proud as to assume they had to write
everything themselves.  You lose some money this way, but it
invigorates the sonic gene pool...

> majority of songs with Buck a close second but having Al and Joe chirp

In the 70s, there was no doubt about it:  Eric was the frontman, and
a great one he was.  Buck was the Guitar Hero and change of pace
singer...Albert was, well, Albert!  Great comic relief, ferocious
drummer.  Joe provided the gothic, moody stuff, and Allen's great
keys provided atmospheric discontent.  Any live gig that included D&S
was a treat with Allen's Hammond organ swelling during the chorus
parts...

> in with Hot Rails, Cities and other songs added much spice to the mix.
> Also BOC tended to jam quite a bit in the old days.   If you want to
> know the BIGGEST difference between then and now I have to say its
> motion.  In the 70's Buck was pretty much glued to the spot, he's far
> more animated now then then.  Eric has gone the opposite way, far more
> animated in the 70's than now.  Oh Eric didn't act like David Lee Roth
> or anything but he worked each area of the stage and basically cut a
> dashing almost regal figure up there with those mirrored shades.

Yeah, Eric really ruled the stage...

> As for the setlist I don't know but maybe we are overlooking the obvious
> here.  BOC can't go around changing the setlist drastically every two or
> three shows.
>
> 1. The old tours were well organized and played in arenas, BOC probably
> totted along a huge amount of their own equipment.  Also soundchecks
> were part of the daily routine.  Having your own stuff and the luxury of
> soundchecks  allowed the band to change the setlist on the fly to fit
> the venue.

Good point!

> 2.  Club circuit is the exact opposite.  Dates are confirmed on the fly,
> clubs have to provide some of the equipment or at least make some
> arrangements.  In order to do the club circuit the way they are doing it
> you have to travel light.  Wonder how many real soundchecks they get
> during the normal course.  Not many I imagine, therefore they have to
> have songs ready to go out the can.

Yeah, they need to do material that they can play in their sleep...

> 3. Changing personnel and lots of gigs allows precious time for
> rehearsal, changes and other stuff.
>
> Now about Danny.  IMHO he is the best bassist BOC has had in years.
> Glad he is part of the band so perhaps its more appropriate to say 4OC.
> We may never know how good Danny is as a song writer since they have not
> gotten EW to market to test the waters.  It occurs to me that while we
> would all like to hear something new if we do get EW it may in fact be
> the absolute last BOC album we will ever hear.  It will have to justify
> someones investment to get another.  Maybe we are better off without it.

Sad but maybe true.  Unless EW goes over.  You never know.  If they
signed with a good label that understands them, like CMC or Metal
Blade, it need not mean so bleak a picture...

theo