BOC: Boots

Wed Sep 17 10:15:35 EDT 1997

>Unfortunately, most of the BOC boots available are of the 3OC
variety.  There are a couple of European 'Imports' out there, listed
in the FAQ [Beat ya to it, John!] but I'm not sure if they feature
the original lineup or not.  I think one is very similar to ETL, but
again, I think it's with RD on drums not Al.

There are 3 what I call "major" boot CDs of BOC.  They are:

"The Thing!" - New York 1981 - Original lineup (only about a month before
Albert would leave the band), many of the songs that are on ETL are on
this recording, but also some that aren't.

The above recording is a double CD.  There also exists a single-CD version
that has about 3/4 of the tracks under the names "Godzilla" or "Burning
For You".  Get the double CD version though if you can.

"Nail You Down" (also a version w/same tracks called "Rock and Roll Reapers")
California 1983 - A few semi-rare songs as far as setlists go, including
"Born to Rock" and "Workshop of the Telescopes"

(oh, by the way, "The Thing!" has recordings of "Fire of Unknown Origin"
and "Heavy Metal: The Black and Silver")

"Into the Crypts of Rays" - California, 1986 (I think it was Jon Rogers
7th BOC gig) - only about 60 minutes long (the other 2 are around 90), but
has some interesting tracks, most notably "Wings of Mercury".  Also has
3 tracks from a '84 performance in England (including "Shooting Shark" and
"Let Go").

All of these are very good quality recordings.  There presumably is a CD
around which has a 1992 performance on it in Moscow, Idaho.  I haven't
heard anything more about it, and am still trying to get a copy.  If anyone
can provide assistance, please let me know.

John