HW: The Bruces

cjohnson cjohnson at HPSC.HISD.HARRIS.COM
Wed Sep 17 14:37:16 EDT 1997

       I managed to ride back to NYC from Strange Daze with Chris & Mary,
       and they detailed a bit of their legal troubles.  They have indeed
       been evicted, and are temporarily crashing at a friend's pad.  The
       published Kadu Flyer address is no more.

       I also agree with Scott's posting, there will never be another
       issue of Kadu Flyer.  C&M didn't say that to me, but it seems quite
       obvious from the tale they related to me.  And based on their
       current state of affairs, anyone to whom they owe money will
       probably not be getting any of it, EVER.

       I managed to track down the web page describing the arrest of Chris
       Bruce after getting the URL from Scott's posting.  I had to
       backtrack thru the site's search service (search on "Chris Bruce")
       before it would let me have the page, though.

       That addy again was:

 http://www.townonline.com/cambridge/archive/051597/029484_0_alleged_0515
 97_83d5359002.html

       The search engine is on the "../cambridge" page.

       I've excerpted here a brief portion of this article that has some
       overlap into the HW community, as such:

            "I don't understand where they get the information they're
            claiming they have," Bruce said Monday in a telephone
            conversation. "It's BS. Obviously, there's somebody who's got my
            name on their list. Like they say, innocent until proven guilty."

            Bruce said he is a recording engineer and producer by trade and
            has worked for bands from Europe. He directed all other questions
            to his attorney, Richard Parellis, who refused to comment.

            Police claim that Bruce's alleged buyers knew it was his stuff
            because it was marked "MUSIC." He allegedly made sales to people
            in Harvard Square in particular, but also in Central Square, East
            Cambridge and North Cambridge.

            One tenant claimed Bruce's telephone answering machine left
            messages, such as "we're not having a concert next week" as a
            signal. When called Monday, his message described a music
            newsletter that features a band with "live astounding sounds from
            1976 coming out in June."

            Tenants describe Bruce as "very nervous," but well-dressed and
            with a nice smile.

       HW as a drug?  "Give me a dose of those Live Astounding Soundz,
       please..."  :-)

       Captain Cloud
       cjohnson at Hpsc.hisd.harris.com