BOC: Touring/Album

Thu Sep 18 13:30:03 EDT 1997

> From:          John A Swartz <jswartz at MBUNIX.MITRE.ORG>

> Eric Bloom has reportedly posted on the AOL BOC board that BOC is
> currently not adding any more shows to its schedule until work on
> the new album has been finished.  I haven't seen the post myself,

This is consistent with something BD said, either on one of the AOL
chats or an interview in one of the gtr mags.  He said that he wanted
to concentrate more on recording and less on touring in the coming
year.  Now, whether he mean the completion of EW or some solo stuff
or studio work for someone else is anyone's guess as he never made
that clear and the questioner never followed it up...

> but some AOL fans mentioned this on Jack's online bulletin board,
> so I know the information is credible, although I don't have the
> exact words used.  Some will see this as a good thing - that is
> BOC is nearing the completion of "Ezekiels' Wheel", and is putting
> their maximum effort into the product.  Others may see this as some
> sort of indication that BOC is either breaking up or going AWOL.

But why go all out on a record only to break up?  The only thing for
them to do, IF they're going to actually finish the album, is make
sure it's the best production they are capable of, and them
enthusiastically tour to promote it.  When they play new stuff live,
it always goes over very well with the crowd.  I was extremely
disappointed when I saw them at an outdoor festival last month and
they didn't do any new stuff [granted, they only had an hour to play,
yet they included drum and bass solos...].  They had a great
opportunity to tell a huge crowd that they were still active and
still recording new stuff, and not simply an oldies act playing
schtick.  However, the down side may be that they're actually packing
it in, and that they won't finish the new reocord, and, indeed
calling it quits.  Another scenario might be that they plan on
concentrating mainly on big, outdoor shows, and the season for them
is essentially over for the year, and they are going to either finish
the record, and maybe even work on some new stuff.  Doesn't seem to
me like they have a huge pool of potential material to record...

Does anyone know how much the band gets for outdoor shows a la
Summerdaze?  Does this pay them enough to live on for a whole year?

> Please note that I have no information to support such ideas, but
> I know that there are many cynics when it comes to BOC.  I'm just
> posting what I know, and am optimistic that if "Ezekiel's Wheel"
> is in fact going to be released, then the work on it will be
> completed soon, and I find that encouraging.
>
> John
I agree.  I think EW is essentially done anyway, and any remaining
work is likely to be a few guitar and vocal overdubs.  Now, the other
question is:  who will release the record?  The European deal is dead
as disco, right?  Does BOC own the masters?  Must be, as they'd be
nuts to work on a project that somebody has pulled out on.  Release
it themselves?  Why not, it works for tBS.  Buy the tapes from the
record company?  Sure, but it goes against the BOC penchant for
cheapness.  Has some smart company like Metal Blade or CMC put up the
front money for them to finish up?  Wise move if you ask me, as the
record's essentially done.  A good record company should jump all
over this, and both those labels are smart enough to know how to work
with groups like BOC, and more importantly, has the patinece to do so
and the confidence in their bands' fan base to know that these kinds
of records can work...
theo

...It's Legal, but it's not 100 percent legal...

--Vincent Vega