LP to CD transfer

William Duffy xl5 at IINET.NET.AU
Mon Sep 22 12:32:59 EDT 1997

Hi there Mike (and all other interested people)

M Holmes wrote:

> OK all you techies.
>
> They've started selling the CD-write hifi units here at 700 quid (about
> 1000 Dollars I guess).
>
> They'll be the CD-R write-once systems I guess. So presumably they could
> write CD's from LP's (not illegal if I own the LP's).
>
> Is it likely that these could also be connected to a 'puter to write
> stuff to CD like 'puter files and software?
>
> Also, if I were to use one to write my LP's to CD then it would obviously be
> better if I could zap out the snaps, crackles and pops. Would it somehow
> be feasible to play an LP, record it digitally on a 'puter, edit the
> file using some fancy software to get rid of the pops and then write the
> results to CD?
>
> What would be needed to do this? Is the necessary software available at
> a reasonable price?

I now have one of these wonderful toys, and have also found some
software out on the net that gets rid of a lot of these crackles, etc..
Most of them you have to buy, and they vary in price, depending on what
you need. Some software that does nothing but..' is fairly reasonable in
price, while there are others that come as part of a package (24 track
recording studio, etc).
One free software program which is good, is CoolEdit96. It doesn't get
rid of crackles, but does get rid of tape hiss.

Check out these Web pages for more info.

http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~psyche/cdda/

http://www.cd-info.com/CDIC/Technology/CD-R/FAQ.html#[4-18]

Some programs that get rid of crackles, pops, etc., include DART

http://www.tracertek.com/dartpro.htm

There are many others to numerous to mention, but you should be able to
find out more on one of the pages listed.

William