LP to CD transfer

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.CS.VT.EDU
Tue Sep 23 10:56:48 EDT 1997

On Mon, 22 Sep 1997, M Holmes wrote:

> OK all you techies.
>
> They've started selling the CD-write hifi units here at 700 quid (about
> 1000 Dollars I guess).

Is a "CD-write hifi unit" a consumer audio version of a CD-R drive, i.e.
is it styled as a CD player with a record button?

The project I work on recently got an external fast+wide SCSI 2x
writeable CD-R drive for $200, so I guess these "hifi units" must offer
a lot more.

> They'll be the CD-R write-once systems I guess. So presumably they could
> write CD's from LP's (not illegal if I own the LP's).

Not illegal?  I thought it was in the UK.  (Though I think people should
be able to record their analogue media for archival purposes.)  Doesn't
anyone remember the ol' "Home Taping is Killing Music" campaign on
record sleeves?  (And does anyone remember Venom's take on it: "Home
Taping is Killing Music---and So is Venom!":)

> Is it likely that these could also be connected to a 'puter to write
> stuff to CD like 'puter files and software?

If it has a digital out, then you're presumably on easy street (aside
from needing a system/card that can keep up with the bitrate).
Naturally, the quality of those samples will be dependent upon the
quality of the A/D converter in the CD-write unit; you might do better
with a cheap CD-R drive and an audiophile capture card for a PC,
especially if you're wanting to edit everything you record from analogue
sources anyway.  (In fact, the scenario you describe would probably best
be served by a regular CD-R drive w/capture card and PC digital
editing.)

> Also, if I were to use one to write my LP's to CD then it would obviously be
> better if I could zap out the snaps, crackles and pops. Would it somehow
> be feasible to play an LP, record it digitally on a 'puter, edit the
> file using some fancy software to get rid of the pops and then write the
> results to CD?
>
> What would be needed to do this? Is the necessary software available at
> a reasonable price?

We have a high-end digital editing system in the lab I work in.  I
talked to the new guy who admins it, and he said that good editing
software can be costly (Sonic Solutions, et al).  I'm sure low-cost
editing software can be had for free (as others have mentioned), but,
remember, you get what you pay for. :-)

> Ta in advance for any help.

If your ostensible aim is to digitally archive your LPs, have you
considered just getting a pro-DAT drive?  I'm sure it will beat the
CD-write unit hands down in terms of price/performance (and the media is
reusable!)  Naturally, you can't make CD-R bootlegs with a DAT unit, but
you did stress these were for your own personal use, didn't you? :-)

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.cs.vt.edu

"I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time"
        --- James Marshall Hendrix