HW: Re: Whitby gig

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Tue Sep 30 07:13:13 EDT 1997

J Strobridge writes:

> What an amazing showman he is.    From the moment when he appeared
> dressed in a black and gold shining robe carried onto the stage by
> his band of 'acolytes' dressed in monks' robes to the sound of a single
> drum beat and launched into 'Time Captains' up until the astonishing
> performance of "Fire" with flames leaping out of his headdress he
> utterly mesmerised everyone.    Nik Turner may be a stage performer but
> Arthur Brown has Class and the most powerful presence I have ever seen
> on a stage.    I don't think I shall ever see its like again - he was
> everything from Jehovah's Witness being vamped by a lady in, well.....
> not a lot! up to Arab wearing a costume that metamorphosed into a
> Pharoah-style robe and then opened out into a huge sun image finally
> becoming the Sun God.   He was utterly brilliant.   He even had the
> audience (and we are talking serious Goth - punk rock here!) doing
> gospel chants!   It was quite breathtaking.

So like is he playing anywhere else?

The only time I've seen the guy was on the comeback tour a few years
ago. It was in a pub with around fifty people there and it was the best
live performance I've ever seen anyone do. That this guy was out of the
rock business for years really is a crying shame.

FoFP