is John Shirley the BOC Calvert?

Troy Harris fiskare at WEBCONCEPT.COM.AU
Wed Apr 1 04:17:23 EST 1998

  Guys,

  Much has been said of the lyrics of one John Shirley on both Bad Channels
and Heaven Forbid.   I must say that I rather like them.  It is no use
whatsoever to compare them with Pearlman or Meltzer or whoever, because 90's
BÖC is 90's BÖC, and nothing else.  The modern BÖC has merits that stand on
their own, apart from a brilliant past.  J. Shirley fits into the picture as
the lyricist on nearly every song of the 90's BÖC.
  I find his lyrics clever and the concepts portrayed fit the style of music
that BÖC play.
  The question is: will he gain recognition for his work, or will he be
maligned by those mourning for the old times?
   Now I ask you Hawkfans on the list- when Calvert's lyrics became much of
the centerpiece of the bands work , was he recieved by all as the ultimate
lyricist or did his ideas take some time to show their true brilliance?
   There are some parallels between Calvert and Shirley, but they are by no
means identical twins.
    - they both are essentially writers/poets.
    - they both write(wrote) lyrics for rock groups.
    - they both pursue(d) their own musical interests.
    - they both are a little odd.
    - they both do quite well at it all, except for their own music, which
borders on mediocrity.  (Before the church of Calvert excommunicates me- hey
remember Freq and LLatLships!)

  Now, I am not putting Calvert/Shirley as a head to head standoff for "who
is best", that would be futile.  I am just saying that perhaps time will
tell that John Shirley will have the same contribution to BÖC as the late
great Calvert had for the Hawks.  Who knows?
  Is John Shirley the BÖC equivelent/version of the late, great Calvert?

   Troy

note: now if this doesnt start some conversation, nothing will.  : )
also note:  no flames from Calvert fans!  I LOVE Calvert...and I have
witnesses to the fact.....right Sonique?

        Troy Harris

        fiskare at webconcept.com.au

                 P O Box 1066
                 Mornington Vic.   3931