BOC: re:Heaven Forbid review

Stephen Swann swann at ST-CANARD.SPC.EDU
Wed Apr 1 11:40:56 EST 1998

Ted Alger writes:

 [ SNIPPED _Heaven Forbid_ review by William Fuller,
    and most of Ted's rebuttal ]

> again, I'll probably regret this in the morning,
> but what really is the point of yet another review
> of an album that probably most of us have heard and
> made up our own minds about by now?

I don't see anyone being shot down for reviewing the album in a
positive light.  Are they wasting our time, too?

And as for "what really is the point", I assume that William was
attempting to engender some more in-depth discussion of the album that
we've been waiting 10 years for.  A lot of people had been asking
where all the discussion of the new album was.  Or did they really
only want to hear more unconditional praise heaped on it?

> especially when
> it's full of little bitches about "this could have
> been done better" or "I would rather hear this"...
> especially when I haven't recently seen any CDs
> with the name William Fuller on them?

That's a really specious argument, and I think you know it.  If only
musicians (and recorded musicians at that!) were allowed to critique,
then you'd never get to say *your* opinion, either.

> as Buck said himself..this album represents
> where "BOC is at right now"...not where they
> were 20 years ago, despite what some people
> might wish

And if someone wishes otherwise, they're allowed to, at least on this
list.  This is a discussion list, after all, not a place of worship.

Steve
swann at panix.com