BOC: re:Heaven Forbid or; shot down in flames!

Ted Alger talger at PIPELINE.COM
Wed Apr 1 15:41:56 EST 1998

Steve Swann sez.....
> [ SNIPPED _Heaven Forbid_ review by William Fuller,
>    and most of Ted's rebuttal ]>
>I don't see anyone being shot down for reviewing the album in a
>positive light.  Are they wasting our time, too?

if it's senseless gushing? yeah, IMO, they are.  but I really haven't
seen too much of that here...people are reviewing it mostly in a
positive light....but I credit it mostly to the "glow" still being
on from having a new album finally.  as I said in a previous message,
I guess I should wait a little bit for the serious discussion to
begin

>And as for "what really is the point", I assume that William was
>attempting to engender some more in-depth discussion of the album that
>we've been waiting 10 years for.  A lot of people had been asking
>where all the discussion of the new album was.  Or did they really
>only want to hear more unconditional praise heaped on it?

to me, the way he worded it didn't seem to be an attempt at engendering
discussion.  maybe he _was_ trying to do this, but it came across flat
to me...I guess that's why this really will never be a real substitute
for good ol' face to face conversation!  and really, I get enough of the
"unconditional praise" on AOL, so that is definitely NOT what I
was getting at

>That's a really specious argument, and I think you know it.  If only
>musicians (and recorded musicians at that!) were allowed to critique,
>then you'd never get to say *your* opinion, either.

yeah, that last statement was a bit over the line....but now YOU'RE
making an assumption! for all you know I _am_ a musician. (and I am,
but very much an amateur) I guess I worded it a little too strongly.
again, what I was trying to convey was that writing is a creative
process and it's HARD!  I may not like most of the music that's
around these days, but I try to have some respect simply from that
musician's point of view....creating something _isn't_ easy.

I'll try to get a little more sleep before I reply to anything in
the future......

Ted

Ted