BOC: HF and a bizarre coincidence [fwd by moderator]

Hardman DK D.K.Hardman at CITY.AC.UK
Thu Apr 2 08:18:14 EST 1998

> >As for the bizarre coincidence...here goes. As you know, Harvest Moon
> >is about a sleepy rural town where a young girl disappears. Someone
> >posted recently that Buck said he took the name Bobrow from a family
> >in Ithaca. At the time of Harvest Moon's release, I was reading a
> >novel called 'The Church of Dead Girls' by Stephen Dobyns. What is the
> >book about? It's about a sleepy, rural town in Upstate New York where
> >one young girl, then others, disappear. It contains several references
> >to Ithaca, Norwich, Binghamton, Cortland, Syracuse, etc. It's a great
> >book and although I doubt there's any true connection, it very much
> >puts one in mind of Harvest Moon...to the point where you could almost
> >believe one was based on the other. If you like reading fiction, I
> >recommend it highly.

The first verse, with all the stuff about the Spanish settlers, reminds me
of Imaginos.  Similarly, Perfect Water on CN reminded me of Imaginos - a
song about being beneath the water, just as Imaginos is left on the
oysterbeds...  I don't think there really is meant to be a connection, but
I suspect that whole Imaginos mythology has planted the germs of a few
ideas.

Dave

David Hardman                           "Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner
HCI Design Centre                        That I love Luton town"
School of Informatics                        (John Hegley)
City University
Northampton Square
London EC1V 0HB

Phone: +44 0171 477 8152