BOC: HW: is John Shirley the BOC Calvert?

Troy Harris fiskare at WEBCONCEPT.COM.AU
Fri Apr 3 05:21:26 EST 1998

At 16:39 2/04/98 -0800, Doug Pearson wrote:
>On Wed, 1 Apr 1998 19:17:23 +1000, Troy Harris <fiskare at WEBCONCEPT.COM.AU>
>dared to pose the fascinating question:
>
>>It is no use whatsoever to compare them with Pearlman or Meltzer or
>>whoever, because 90's BÖC is 90's BÖC, and nothing else.
>
>I would strongly disagree with this statement - after all, 90's BÖC is
>still BÖC, not a different band (although this is arguable, given the
>absence of Pearlman, Meltzer and the Bouchards), and the lyrics by those
>folks definitely contributed to the overall BÖC sound/image/identity.
>Which is not to say that a band is not allowed to re-invent/re-work those
>aspects of itself from time-to-time (Hawkwind certainly have, to certain
>extents), but that doesn't totally disconnect them from their past.

 So, bottom line, 90's BÖC is 70's BÖC?
 I think 90's BÖC is really paying much respect to it's own heritage.  It is
hardly modern.
  A friend of mine, of the 20s age group says "they are cool, but too old
fashioned"
  I dont fool myself into thinking they are setting the trend today as they
once did.
 But they do the music I like and that is good enough for me!

>>  Now, I am not putting Calvert/Shirley as a head to head standoff for "who
>>is best", that would be futile.  I am just saying that perhaps time will
>>tell that John Shirley will have the same contribution to BÖC as the late
>>great Calvert had for the Hawks.  Who knows?
>>  Is John Shirley the BÖC equivelent/version of the late, great Calvert?
>
>Well, I hate to contradict your second statement, but I think that Richard
>Meltzer would probably be a closer comparison to Calvert, the only
>exception being that Bob was never a rock critic (although I love his take
>on the Clash - an initially-good band [including their Pearlman-produced LP
>:^)] that f*cked up by falling into the politics=fashion trap that gives us
>crap like Rage Against The Machine).  I may like Vom, but I'd never argue
>that they were a "great" band.  But like I said, I'm not familiar enough
>with John Shirley to comment authoritatively!  Anyone else?

  Yeah, perhaps Richard Meltzer has had some input to the band, and
certainly good input, but on the current trend, perhaps John Shirley has a
greater input than RM had previously.

>>note: now if this doesnt start some conversation, nothing will.  : )
>>also note:  no flames from Calvert fans!
>
>What!? You DARE to question the unmatched genius of Robert Calvert?  The
>finest poet ever to command the English language?  I call for permanent
>banishment from boc-l and condemnation to listening exclusively to Rod
>McKuen albums until you see the error of your ways! :^)

 CALVERT RULES!!!!

>>I LOVE Calvert...and I have witnesses to the fact.....right Sonique?
>
>... seconded ...

 Thanks for the vote of confidence!

   Troy

        Troy Harris