BOC: Couple O things

Torgo Sedler drtorgo at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 3 10:43:36 EST 1998

Hi Kids:

Couple of things......

>Someone posted recently that Buck said he took the name Bobrow from a
>family in Ithaca.

Ok, this puts me in mind of one of my very first posts to BOC-L about
100 years ago, back when I actually had time to post here almost every
day (I'm here today because I am home sick). What is it with BOC and
proper names of people. Maybe I'm nuts (no comments Brevard) but pound
for pound and song for song it seems like no other band gives as many of
the song's "characters" actual names.

So many obvious ones come to mind from BOC's past: Charles, Susan,
Margaret, Joe. Not to mention a handful in Deadline alone. Add Heaven
Forbid to this and you have (just off the top of my head) Ann, Bobrow,
Cobys, Emmy, Judy, and Jimmy!

Just seems odd to me is all I am saying. :^)

>At the time of Harvest Moon's release, I was reading a novel called
>'The Church of Dead Girls' by Stephen Dobyns. What is the book about?
>It's about a sleepy, rural town in Upstate New York where one young
>girl, then others, disappear. It contains several references to
>Ithaca, Norwich, Binghamton, Cortland, Syracuse, etc. It's a great

OK, I happen to live, work, and play in the sleazy.. er, SLEEPY little
Upstate NY town of Norwich. Perhaps I'll give this book a try. Hell,
I'll do anything to add a sense of excitement to this place. :^)

> The first verse, with all the stuff about the Spanish settlers,
>reminds me of Imaginos.

The first time I heard Harvest Moon, it immediately put me in mind of
Imaginos. Music styles were a bit different, but I just thought it would
sound soooooooooooo nice nestled warmly in there, perhaps between
DelRio's song and Frankenstein.

Oh and I also think Harvest Moon is easily one of the BEST BOC songs
ever recorded, and you may quote me on that.

Also, I hope everyone enjoyed my "review" of Heaven Forbid. Someone here
was kind enough to forward it to the AOL BOC Forum and yesterday morning
I received a short message from Buck himself saying how much he enjoyed
reading it. If anyone is interested, the address for Buck is
Anwar95 at aol.com.

One last tidbit. People have mentioned the relative shortness of HF.
Even with the Bonus Track it still weighs in at under 45:00. Considering
how "Buck heavy" the album is, it would have been nice had they included
the Bad Channels songs on this album as well. Would have given both Eric
and Buck six songs each, plus the bonus track. Would have added more
balance to the album IMHO. Not trying to say that the BC songs are as
good as HF (well, I think Horsemen is), but overall they would have
worked well on there.

Ok, I'm outta here. As you were, people.

Torgo has left the building.......
Torgo at norwich.net     DrTorgo at hotmail.com
http://welcome.to/torgos
Palace: Galaxystation.com PORT-9998