BOC: A Scandinavian HF review light.

Dan Lindfors lindfors at ALGONET.SE
Fri Apr 3 17:44:06 EST 1998

Yesterday with the mail I got Blue Öyster Cult's Heaven Forbid and Joe
Satrianis Crystal Planet which I ordered only 9 days ago at CDNow. And with
the cost of shipping I still saved at least $ 12 considering the swedish
prices. It's been lots of music the last 24 hours, but not much of Satriani
yet.
22 years after Agents of Fortune I feel obliged to say something about what
I thought to be BOC:s last album (I'm not sure anymore...)
First some minor notes:
* As already been said: 45 minutes is a bit short these days. Satrianis
Crystal Planet counts to almost 68!
* Buck's guitarsound is nowadays somewhat thin for my taste.
* The lyrics? Well I've never cared much about texts (especially if it's
sci-fi/ufo).
* Does someone have some slight eyeproblem?

Okey:

Men in Black: Of course much better sound quality than picked up from
www.hardradio.com. A great starter. And one of the fastest BOC songs ever!

Harvest Moon: Buck painting layers of shining atmospheres, and topping it
with creamy guitarsparkling fireworks...

Power Underneath Despair: Not my favorite on the disc, heavyfooted
somehow(well I would not recommend dancing to it). Saved by the Eric's
voice and the guitars.

X-Ray Eyes: A sweet Roeser pop song. Excellent guitarpatterns and singalong
chorus of the kind that gets stuck in the brain.

Hammer Back: Goshhh! What the heck is this! I was not prepared. A Cult
Classic in 1998!!! (lacking words I wish there were larger
exclamationmarks!) This one could even have been on "On Your Feet..."! I
suddenly feel younger... And the second solo - you're not really allowed to
do that with a guitar. I'm on my knees.

Damaged: The greatest surprise on the disc, and a fun one! Anyone consider
this played by tired geezers? I certainly don't think so! For me this one
tells me they don't longer try to live up to that old BOC mythology - but
it sure sounds like they are having lotta fun. Me too.(Man undrar något:
har de hört The Creeps?)

Cold Grey Light Of Dawn: Feels in right place, suitable after Damaged.
Smooth heavy cool grey dawn. Eric's in full power and controll. I'm not
sure why I like it as much as I do. I cannot stop myself singing along,
drifting along in a slower pace. (making me in tune for...)

... Real World: Oh my... Yet a big surprise - a BOC blues-ballad. An
absolute Buck Dharma gem! I don't look on MTV, but Real World ought to be
played on it all day. If Clapton made this it could have sold millions.

Live for me: In this context lacking in originality. Here they actually had
a chance to prolong the disc with a much longer intrumental part.

Still burnin': Good rolling rocker with a exciting, haunting chorus!

In Thee: Well, I find the original much better. I would have prefered a new
live version of The last days of May or some cover. But hey, maybe it's
time for another Live-album now?:-)
(by the way, anyone interested in In Thee tab, mail me)

shape! A class album worth lots of buyers that would not be disappointed!
Why not buy two or three more to give away as presents!
I'm more than pleased. I'm having a good time!

(I'm sure Salvador Dali wouldn't mind the Virgin Mary paraphrase. But is
she really a virgin?)

Dan L

(very off question: Does anyone of you know of NLP?)

    __    __
 |[====|||||||||||[::} Dan Lindfors, lindfors at algonet.se

"Feel good... for no reason at all"
                  Richard Bandler