BOC: Couple O things

Mon Apr 6 19:07:11 EDT 1998

> From:          Torgo Sedler <drtorgo at HOTMAIL.COM>
> Ok, this puts me in mind of one of my very first posts to BOC-L about
> 100 years ago, back when I actually had time to post here almost every
> day (I'm here today because I am home sick). What is it with BOC and
> proper names of people. Maybe I'm nuts (no comments Brevard) but pound
> for pound and song for song it seems like no other band gives as many of
> the song's "characters" actual names.
>
> So many obvious ones come to mind from BOC's past: Charles, Susan,
> Margaret, Joe. Not to mention a handful in Deadline alone. Add Heaven

How 'bout 'Jim' from In Thee, and Jacques Cousteau from -ugh- Club
Ninja's Perfect Water?

> Forbid to this and you have (just off the top of my head) Ann, Bobrow,
> Cobys, Emmy, Judy, and Jimmy!

Don't forget Beth!
This has always intrigued me as well, but I like it!

> Just seems odd to me is all I am saying. :^)
>
> >At the time of Harvest Moon's release, I was reading a novel called
> >'The Church of Dead Girls' by Stephen Dobyns. What is the book about?
> >It's about a sleepy, rural town in Upstate New York where one young
> >girl, then others, disappear. It contains several references to
> >Ithaca, Norwich, Binghamton, Cortland, Syracuse, etc. It's a great
>
> OK, I happen to live, work, and play in the sleazy.. er, SLEEPY little
> Upstate NY town of Norwich. Perhaps I'll give this book a try. Hell,
> I'll do anything to add a sense of excitement to this place. :^)

Well I work at S.U., and Dobyns is somewhat of a god here, as he's a
prof.  Though I believe he got into some kind of Clintonesque shit a
while back with a female grad student.  He's taken a bit of time off
to work on his writing 'til the shit blows over.  Never read his
stuff.  Tobias Wolff [who wrote the book for the DiCaprio vehicle
This Boy's Life] is another writing prof up here.  Never got to study
with either of them, and I missed my chance with Toby, as he's off to
another school...

Not everyone is in love with Dobyns' writing.  Some reviewers find
him rather simplistic.  Haven't read his stuff personally...