HW: low points and giving up

J Strobridge eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Mon Apr 13 12:03:49 EDT 1998

Hall, Russell J writes:

> Hmm.  I think I may be misinformed, a bit.  When was C.Y.Masques
> released?  My copy has 1996 for Griffon Music.  Is this a re-release?

Yes - it was originally issued as vinyl on RCA label back in 198?? (I
forget now) along with Church of Hawkwind and Sonic Attack but there
was great difficulty getting permission for it to be issued as a CD.
Griffin finally achieved this with a memorable piece of diplomacy - a
feat which IMO has to be counted up there with the great diplomatic
triumphs of this century although it's admittedly had slightly less
impact on the global majority of humanity than other such achievements.
But no matter.    I like Choose Your Masques although others prefer
Sonic Attack from that period as being more.. I dunno - assertive?
Have to agree tho' that it's not the best version of Utopia.

However Hawkwind being the band they are - even if you don't like an
album it's still worth going to see them live if only because by the
time they've put the tour and the stageshow together it can bear
little or no resemblance to the album at all - either that or they tour
before the album even comes out.    Either way - Hawkwind live and
Hawkind in studio tend, for me, to be quite separate species.

The official compilations issued by the band (usually with booklet and a
Brian Tawn intro) are usually worth picking up if you don't already have
any of the original albums.    However you should avoid the endlessly
recursive Yuri Gagarin group and only buy one version of Acid Daze - see
the discography!

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk