OFF: Cozy Powell and Black Sabbath

Horse Whisperer beautiful_foot at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 14 12:57:47 EDT 1998

John wrote:

>> "Disturbing the Priest" is one of the coolest metal songs out there.

Nick English <nick at THECAMPUS.COM> replied:

>I agree, John, although I have a special love for Zero the Hero.
>Everyone I've ever played that tune for -- even non-metal,
>non-Sabbath, non-Deep Purple fans -- have loved it.
>
>BTW...There was a
>Gillan/Sabbath mini-concert on MTV back in the early '80s. All I can
>remember is that they had these giant stonehenge monuments (Kinda
>like Spinal Tap, except that whoever drew the diagram on the napkin
>knew the difference between inches and feet)...and there was one
>other thing that disturbed me a bit...I could have sworn the show was
>lip-synched using the Born Again album cuts. Did anyone else see
>this? Am I out of my mind?

Vol 4 is, for me, the finest moment ever commited to vynil, repidly
followed by _Black Sabbath_, _On Your Feet or On Your Knees_ and Fith No
More's _King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime_.

But now I've gotten that out of the way, the later Sabbath stuff has to
be looked at in several different ways - Dio, then Iommi solo stuff
(which is what _Seventh Star_ actually was until the record company
refused to release it without the Sabbath name) and then more group
focused material, but in the vein cut by _7th Star_.

ZERO THE HERO  what a f#@!"ng awesome riff!  The way it builds, the way
it twists, the way it just roars.  Ohmigodohmigodohmigod.
Sorry - I was gushing.  Ahem.  I kinda like digital bitch too, but I've
got medication for that.

Back to the point anyway - the Born Again live footage probably <I>was
</I> overdubbed with studio sound because Ian Gillan never actually
bothered learning the lyrics.  He did good deal of the few gigs they
played to back up the LP singing from sheets of lyrics stuck to the
stage and then screaming a lot because he couldn't remember what
happened next.  This is stuff I've read in interviews with both Gillan
and Iommi say this much and Iommi lays the blame for this particular
lineup crumbling before recording a 2nd LP squarely at the feet of Mr
Gillan for just not getting of his arse and participating.

And in the same Iommi interview (in Kerrang! I suspect), Tony sez that
the Stonehenge set is <I>still</I> sitting in a warehouse in England
somewhere.  He even named the town, but I can't remember that far back.
He said he laughed his plums off at This Is Spinal Tap and he felt that
Derek Smalls' moustache was dedicated to Black Sabbath fans everywhere.

Chris.