HW: low points and giving up (long)

John Cartledge cs0jca at ISIS.SUNDERLAND.AC.UK
Fri Apr 17 09:56:07 EDT 1998

Hi,

Thought I'd come out from the realms of lurkdom to add a few thoughts of my own.

I think that the band have been in freefall since Electric Tepee. I still rate
this album, and can remember thinking that it was better than it had any real
right to be at the time (given the disappointment of Space Bandits). Even so,
the danger signs were there with the rehashed lyrics/songs starting to appear
(Mask Of Morning = Mirror Of Illusion, Secret Agent = On The Case).

IITBOTFTBD: Solved the lyrical problems! Gave us an album of bland ambient
noodling. More Rehashed lyrics. As for Gimme Shelter -- Why?

White Zone: Maybe should discount this as it didn't claim to be a Hawkwind
album.

Alien 4: Sorry, but I've got a real problem with this album, as I think the
rot really started here. Of the new stuff, I really only like Alien (I am) and
Sputnik Stan -- (and the riff from Xenomorph).
The rest of it was fairly uninspired (and in the case of Beam Me Up,
bloody embarrassing). As a concept, the tried and tested alien theme smacked
of a band bereft of new ideas. Willing to give RT a chance though.

Loss of Alan Davey is major blow musically and lyrically -- if not vocally ;-)

Distant Horizons: Better than I thought it was going to be, with a couple of
good tracks (Wheels, Reptoid Vision (apart from the lyrics)). Unfortunately,
it seems as though it's been cobbled together and rushed out half finished.
Dave's contribution is piss poor (he sounds bored/uninterested), RT's lyrics
are inane, and do we really need another version of Love In Space! Band in
creative nadir.

The problem is exacerbated by the fact that none of these albums have increased
their fan base. In fact the opposite seems to be the case: dwindling sales,
smaller venues, all leading to the problems on the last tour. I realise that
the annual two sold out nights at Hammersmith are now a thing of the past, but
it's not that long since they were selling out decent sized venues.

Finally, with Dave now seemingly suffering from permanent writers block, nobody
else is supporting him. I think he needs someone else in the band to spark off
(as he did with Calvert). At the moment, nobody seems to fit the bill. As such,
the lack of new (preferably intelligent) lyrics is a major problem.

The only way by which I can see the mothership taking off again is for Dave to
take the controls, both lyrically and on stage (he may as well not have been
there last tour -- and most people who go to see Hawkwind want to see Dave).
He needs to get some talented people into the band -- sorry Ron and Captain
Rizz, but you don't cut it.
Get a full time keyboard player -- come back Harvey?

I dunno. Maybe I'm expecting too much of him now. After all, he has been
churning stuff out for nigh on 30 years.

To be honest, if this is the way it's going to be in future, I'd rather they
called it a day, otherwise they are in real danger of becoming a sad parody of
a brilliant innovative band (and I don't think I could bear for that to happen).

Anyway. Just my thoughts for what they are worth. If I sound overly harsh in
places, it's only because I care and would love to be proven wrong.
Sorry about the length of the post -- I got a bit carried away!!

                        Cheers

                        John