Review of HF

Hardman DK D.K.Hardman at CITY.AC.UK
Fri Apr 17 12:15:48 EDT 1998

On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, John A Swartz wrote:

> NOPE!  Still love this album, and give it a 10 out of 10, despite the
> fact that I probably agree with some of your comments.  Here's a few
> of my reactions to your review:

Thanks for your comments John. I deliberately tried to shut down the
"fanboy" part of my brain for the purposes of review, but no doubt that HF
will occupy a major part of my listening time over the coming weeks and
months. As for 10/10....well, even with my fanboy cells switched on the
10/10 ranking would have to be reserved for Secret Treaties (unless 11/10
is allowed :) )

> >and second, the
> music itself lacks the inventiveness that we've come to love in songs such
> as "Monsters" and "Shadow of California" (to choose two songs more or less
> at random)
>
> But you randomly chose 2 songs from the "Bouchard catalog"...

I wasn't trying to make a comment about the Bouchards contribution to BOC
- in fact, I had no idea whose songs they were...I just picked them off
the top of my head.

> >Damaged:
>
> I like your assessment of this track (my personal fave from HF), however
> you gave it (as well as "Live for Me") no numerical score.  Oversight?

Oversight, yes. I'd say 8/10. In other words, a damn fine number, but not
quite up there with SYIB or HM.

> Despite any agreements I might have with your more critical assessments
> of the album, it will be a 10/10 in my books always.  Then again, I'd
> probably do the same for Club Ninja (o.k., maybe I'd give it a 9...)  ;-)

I have a special affection for Mirrors, myself. I always had the feeling
that the band themselves would have been more positive about it if it had
actually been a success!

Dave

David Hardman                           "Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner
HCI Design Centre                        That I love Luton town"
School of Informatics                        (John Hegley)
City University
Northampton Square
London EC1V 0HB

Phone: +44 0171 477 8152