OFF: Masters of Reality

Tue Apr 21 13:23:29 EDT 1998

> From:          Andy Gilham <Andy.Gilham at BTINTERNET.COM>

> >         I can feel my wallet aching with the question, but who is this
> > group and how good are they? Yours,
> >                                     Jon
> >

> Well, I actually only have one album of theirs, their eponymous (obtBS :)
> debut from 1988, which I think I bought on the strength of being produced by
> Rick Rubin...  but it's really excellent (even if it now sounds a teensy bit
> old-fashioned).  Obviously a bit Sabbath-y, and heavy as fuck!

I believe the debut is called The Blue Garden, though that may have
been changed when the album was re-released on a subsequent label
[Def American?]  These guys are from my home town, and I saw them a
hundred times when they were a bar band.  My wife went to high school
with Chris.  Sadly, they splintered right after the first album, and
their best musician, the guitarist Tim Herrington departed.  I don't
see much similarity to Sab, other than the name.  Great lyrics, and
spooky as hell.  By far the better of the two albums...

> They made another album with Ginger Baker (obHW!) but I didn't get it for
> some reason (like maybe commencing self-employment and owing lots of money).
> I didn't even realise they were still around until yesterday when I saw the
> notice in the Astoria.

This album, Sunrise on the Suffer Bus, was well received by critics,
and is pretty good, though obviously lacking a bit in the heavy
guitar area.  Good songs and lyrics too.  I don't know what the
lineup is at present.  Far as I know, Chris is the only original
member.  For the second album, the group was just a trio.  They
always put on a great stage show.  Should be  a helluva gig...

theo