OFF: Masters of Reality

bart bart at AEOLIANS.BT.CO.UK
Tue Apr 21 12:36:03 EDT 1998

>         I can feel my wallet aching with the question, but who is this
> group and how good are they?

Err. Band led by Chris Goss (producer of the latter few Kyuss albums). Only
2 real studio albums - The Blue Garden - kind of ZZTop with a vague BOC tinge
in the lyrics, a lazy perhaps texas psych twang here and there with a small dollop of Sabbath on the side. This is a totally excellent album.
If you find the copy with Dolraldina's Prophecies on it, yer lucky 'cos its one of their best. Other notables tracks are Domino, Lookin to get Rite (great
acoustic number) and Kill the King (nothing to do with Dio).

Their second, _Sunrise on the Sufferbus_ is much lighter in style, even though
Ginger Baker stepped in on drums. Album didn't do them any favours although
some tracks grow on you. Style is much more straightforward bluesy rock pop
ditties.

Live  - I have no idea, though I recall reading a gig review in Kerrang! just
after Blue Garden & they thought it was the dogs bollox.  Last year they put out
"How High the Moon - live at the viper room" which is pretty good - some new
songs in there, but the sound quality isn't brilliant.

I lent Blue Garden to some of my (BOC fan) friends at university, including
Jason of this list, and they hated it. You'll either love it or be less than
impressed, I've found. YMMV

cheers,

Tim

NP: Masters of Reality _Blue Garden_

"when I was young I didn't know, summer days seemed 25 years long.
 now I ain't much wiser but I know that its a drag to be alone"
                                                                JB Witchdance