OFF: New Sava Fan

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Wed Apr 22 08:39:32 EDT 1998

Ted A.>well, to tell you the truth..... I have "Handful of Rain".... and
it's ok.....just doesn't really grab me though....Fates Warning's "A
Pleasant Shade of Gray," now THAT grabs me

OK Rain is a good start.  I like Rain a hell of a lot but the one
problem with it is that this is the weakest guitar work in the entire
collection.  Alex Skolnick was the guitarist for this one and didn't
last much longer.  While Alex is pretty damn good player and his work on
this cd is GREET! (Monty Python anyone?) it pales in comparision to the
work of Criss Oliva (God rest his soul), the original guitarist and Al
Pitrelli the guitarist on the last two albums plus the Trans Siberian
Orchestra project.

Try these four albums on for size -

Edge of Thorns - Some say they don't like it as much as Rain but I think
its a better effort.  This cd was a real turning point for the band as
it turned out to be Criss last album before his death (auto accident)
and Zak (lead singer) first album with the band.  Its crunchy/melodic
and has a few surprises.  Title track, Miles Away, Degrees of Sanity,
Follow Me and Sleep are great tunes.

Dead Winter Dead - One of three albums I consider perfect.  A theme
album about the war in Bosnia.  Awesome combination of rock/symphony.
This album has Christmas Eve Sarajevo on it which is an incredible
Symphoonic rock instrumental that got a lot of airplay.  Everything on
this album is top notch but the best song is One Child, "garunteed to
blow your mind."

TSO - Christmas Eve and Other Stories - This album is a lot like
Imaginos as there is debate, is this really a Savatage album?  Of course
it is.  Paul O'Neil their long time producer wanted to do this project.
It features the entire band along with some guest musicians and
vocalist.  Zak does background vox on one song which dissapoints many
but there was a legal reason for this.  He and Jon could not sing on
this effort otherwise it would have to be released under the name
Savatage.  Everyone inolved wanted this to be O'Neils project so Zak and
Jon did little to no vocals to get it released.  Bottom line it is a
Savatage album.  X-Mas Eve Sarajevo is also on this album and most
people associate the song with TSO and not Sav.

Wake of Magellan - Whoa stop the presses,  album of the year!  Yeah its
only April and unless King's X puts out a new one this year, its got my
vote. Wake is another theme piece and falls just short of DWD for
brilliance.  Not as Symphonic as DWD but it has magnificient moments.
Highlights range from headknockers that rival or surpass SYIB to DWD
style Symphonic textures.  You must hear Hourglass, Paragons of
Innocence, The Storm (Instrumentals) and the song with killer riffs
Blackjack Guillotine.  Let me know if your band can play this one.

There is far more to Sav as this band has changed its lineup and style.
Every thing prior to Thorns featured the same lineup for the most part
with writer/keyboardist/guitarist/lead vox and all around genius Jon
Oliva, Criss baby brother.  Pre -Thorns Sav is real headbanging stuff
with some progressive things thrown in.  The best Pre -Zak Sav stuff are
Gutter Ballet, Streets and Hall of the Mountain King.  Each of these has
a bit of progressive sandwhiched by some real head through cinder block
music.  Many don't like Jon's vocals which I adore.  A hybrid of Alice
Cooper/Geddy Lee and Lemmy.

Finally I think the title track Handful of Rain is one of the greates
rock songs of all time.  I felt this way the first time I heard it.

L8er
Ghost in the Ruins

The Savage Savatage fan

For chicks and grins there are a few BOC lovers who hang out at the
bands message board connected to the official website.  WWW.SAVATAGE.COM